8.11.12

NaNoWriMo Day #8

Oh what a painful day.

This was one of those days where every word seemed difficult to get on the page. On such days, I find myself all too often "telling" instead of "showing." For instance, instead of showing a scene that builds character or introduces a character, or is otherwise plot-advancing and informative, I'll recap the scene and move quickly on to the next.

It's almost like the "recapping" is my daily writing warm-up, and then I get in to telling the actual story, even though the "recapped" scene is necessary or beneficial to the plot.

The problem is, that on these days, I find myself repeatedly lapsing into those telling habits, and when I look back at my day's work, I realize that such telling sections appear most frequently at a scene beginning.

I suppose there's a silver lining in this: when I go back to revise after my NaNoWriMo novel is complete, I have several areas that I can expound on. Also, if I get stuck on one of these next 22 days (which is highly likely considering the state of my plot), I won't have wasted days, as I can return to these scenes and expand them.

In the meantime, I'll continue to cement my bum to my chair and glue my fingers to the keyboard as I plug away towards 50K. 


No comments:

Post a Comment