6.4.13

Favorites

F is for "Favorites"

I'm notoriously difficult to please. So every time I read a new book, I hold it to impossibly high standards. Five star books are rare. 

Some of my five-star books are: 

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
Set in Puritan New England, this novel read even better the second time around.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
A retelling of the story of Dracula with a historical twist, this book was a complete surprise for me.

Phantom by Susan Kay
A retelling of The Phantom of the Opera, this is a much more intimate view of the Phantom and how he becomes the maniacal killer he is. Well worth the read.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
I love this book for the intricate plot. There are so many character to keep track of, and so many subplots, but everything comes together in the end to create a beautifully crafted read.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Given the subject matter and the narrator, I didn't expect to like this book at all. I wanted to read it because it was famous, and I'm glad I did. I found the prose quite evocative.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
If you haven't read this book, the twist in the end is what clinches the deal for me. I'm not a romance reader by any means, but the romantic storyline in this novel strikes a chord with me every time.

These are a few of my absolute favorite books. What are some of yours?

~I.E.


Day 1: Absolution

Day 2: Biography

Day 3: Confidence

Day 4: Daphne

Day 5: Exposition

No comments:

Post a Comment